Sunday, 14 May 2017

Wode Warrior completed

Having posted a WIP a few weeks go I managed to finish this guy. To be honest, I'm not overly pleased with him, but I did learn a few good lessons so it was worth it.


Early on I got rather intimidated by the amount of detail on him. I spent ages highlighting the top of his shield and decided I couldn't go on that way without risking a melt down, cannibalism or some other malady. So I mixed up a subtle first hightlight dry brushed it on. This worked really well and I added two more highlights, this time using more precise strokes. I carefully dotted-on pin pricks of almost white too, which I'm getting better at and I find really lifts miniatures. Any resulting sloppyness was mitigated by adding the 'scratches', which are really quick to do. The result is a much for equitable balance of effort-to-result.

I managed to mess this up with his wode tattoos. These look really awful and only serve to break up the shape of his body. Never mind. However, the hallucinogenic blood worked quite well and the red vibrates against the olive drab of his shield exactly as it does in the Bisley artwork.

Visual research for Solonchak

I've been thinking more about Solonchak, the dried sea basin this guy inhabits in the Realm of Fire. It's a crazy mix of white-hot salt dunes shot through with luminous oxides. The depressions have become bone-fields where the cartilaginous remains of leviathans slowly crystalise. These Silurian carcasses eventually shatter and are ground to powder under their own weight. There is no sun in the sky that beats down all hours, but a borealis of fire that merely waxes and wanes according to the whim of the gods. In this toxic wasteland a living can be eeked out, but only by denizens that strike first. What remains of society is groups of apex predators, united not by race or species but by their ability to survive.

10 comments:

  1. Really like this very original take on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Assless! More to come I hope.

      Delete
  2. It's an incredibly painted miniature, despite your own criticisms. He looks like he's walked right off the front cover of a 1970's fantasy novel. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchin. Yeah, been looking at a lot of old 2000AD stuff of late.

      Delete
  3. I will echo the comments above. The background you have given is absolutely wonderful and refreshing compared to the typical "wasteland" that typically comes to mind. The paint job is also very much on point, the helmet and shield I think being the most impressive. If I had to offer any constructive criticism it would be to the metallic gold used on the edging of his weapon. You have done an excellent job on his armor and shield and I think that is why the metallic gold comes across so jarring to me. I am not normally a fan by any means of non-metallic metals but think it could add to the miniature if the edging was more subtle. Just a thought, either way I hope we see more like this, great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli and so glad you like the background. Cool about the metallics. I rather like the hue as it goes with the overall palette, so is it the paint style you think could be improved?

      Delete
  4. Your technique and style is very good. I was mainly just referring to the use of non metallic paints for his armor versus the the metallic paint on his weapon. The hue is wonderful, my statement was simply on the inclusion of metallic flake in the paint itself or the choice of using a metallic paint on only one part of the model. You have done a marvelous job on his armor without the use of metallics so including one on his weapon draws my eye at least to the weapon instead of the Wode Warrior himself. If that is intention of the style I can appreciate that. I guess in short I was just curious as why you went for such a lush and full non-metallic scheme for the armor and then Metallic for only the edge of his weapon. Regardless of my curiosity he is definitely one of my favorites that you have painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli - I do see what you mean. I guess I'm from the school which is tru-metallics. The armour is supposed to be painted blue, rather than some kind of metal. Maybe I should experiement more!?

      Delete
  5. I haven't been keeping up with blogs for a little while but I had to pop back and see how this turned out since the first post.

    It looks awesome! It really does capture that graphic comic look, like a Bisley piece given 3 dimensions.

    That blood splatter is amazing, did you paint it by hand or splatter it on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stygian and good to have you back. The blood was spattered on by flicking a brush loaded with pigment in front of the mini. IIRC I masked off the rest of the body using tape to ensure none of it went astray.

      Delete