Saturday, 3 June 2017

Bloody Haemonculi

Welcome to another irreverent battle report! If you're looking for tactical insights and strategic tips, you should probably just pass along right now. But if you do get to the end there is a treat in store for you...

My regular opponent, Mr T, decided to shed his Tyranid carapace and instead threw his lot in with the Haemonculus Covens. He's done a smashing job painting a small force which was pitted against my Blood Angels. Queue set-up, roll offs and missions and all that jazz. I think we were capturing objectives and slaying Warlords. Or something. I was mainly there to kill Xenos.

To be honest, things started off pretty badly for me as I managed to chuff-up my deployment. I got excited handling my newly-painted Razorback and inadvertently put it in a stupid place. The roof-surfing Death Company mini is a reminder that the tank driver was ever-so-pleased to be sharing his shiny ride with five frothing lunatics.


My 90s Scouts took up position in a ruined building. They did their best at trying to hide against the grey walls but found their bright red armour and yellow undercrackers didn't make this an easy task.


Everybody ran forwards. There was a bit of killing. Notably a combat squad of Tactical Marines foot-slogged up the right flank to be greeted by a Raider full of angry Haemonculi. The Marines held out surprisingly well and succeeded in slowing down the Xenos for a couple of turns. I'm now more at-peace with seeing my troops whittled down if they're tying up more expensive enemy units like this.

The Razorback driver was palpably relieved when his cargo of maniacs disgorged into the fray around an objective. They tore through a Haemonculus squad then rushed the enemy Warlord. The puny alien was doomed. Stupid Xenos.


However, behind a rocky outcrop my Warlord wasn't having fun. The Chaplain vaguely imagined the  steadily increasing buzzing sound he could hear was a large, angry bumblebee. But then a massive pain engine hove into sight. Uh oh! Smack down. He lost and the filthy Xenos machine buzzed with alien pleasure.


All told, it was pretty close and the Haemonculi won by a narrow margin. Mr T had his fair share of bad luck and did a good job of pulling apart my red chaps.
So the prize for getting to the end of this post is that this battle report (and a couple previously) have been 8th edition games. I can wholeheartedly assure you that the system is a dream to play - smooth, accessible and fast-paced. GW has also made a herculean effort to update all the stats for every unit, so you'll be able to play all factions from day one. All the new datasheets are found in the new Index books (akin to the Grand Alliance books for Age of Sigmar). Mr T and I have always used the new Power Level system to build our armies as that suits our mid-core style. We found the system gives a very balanced game with the outcome often decided in the last turn (and sometime on the last die roll). Of course, 8th edition sees the release of the new Primaris Marines, and I'll definitely be adding units of these beautiful models to my Blood Angels army.

While the Dark Imperium is a dismal place to live, it's a new dawn for 40K hobbyists.

10 comments:

  1. I'm liking everything I've seen so far with 8th edition, and am probably going to be joining you in the land of "power levels". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Power levels for the win! As I say, they are surprisingly balanced and free you from the need to play math-hammer.

      Delete
    2. Sim is totally in favour of them. :)

      Sadly I'm away LARPing on launch day, so not sure when I'll get to have a full game rather than a quick rules demo. I'm sure it won't be long...

      Delete
  2. Another excellent battle report. I too wondered how the scouts would actually, well, scout, given their Adam and the Ants styled look.

    Glad to hear that 8th edition plays well. I am hoping (probably in vain) that my tiny metal space nuns will at last be able to win something other than a "heaviest army" contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby! To be fair, Scouts do get to deploy differently, despite their wacky clobber. I am sure your Sororitas will weigh in with firepower and not just lead. You should invest in Celestine, who has a great weight-to-carnage ratio!

      Delete
    2. Especially now that she's available in plastic! I'm pleased the rules are decent for them now and I won't just have to hope for a draw when the weight of three Exorcists causes the gaming table to collapse!

      Delete
  3. Always great to see two armies beat each other senseless.

    And 8th does seem to be a breath of fresh air... might have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always nice to see two well-painted armies crash together in dice-fueled display of mayhem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks 2501. It's always nice to have a good table too.

      Delete